Loneliness is defined as feeling left out or isolated or lacking companionship. Let’s face it, no one likes to be alone, but unfortunately for the elderly, loneliness is lethal. Recent research suggests that loneliness leads to deteriorating health and even earlier-than-expected death. The fact that seniors are living among others doesn’t mean they will not succumb to loneliness. Almost two-thirds of seniors in the research conducted by the University of California San Francisco reported feeling lonely even though they were married or living with a partner.
As people age, they sometimes find themselves facing an illness, separation from family, a disability, or simply a loss of skills necessary to accomplish the daily tasks of living they are accustomed to. The transition from one’s home to a nursing facility often leaves the elderly feeling useless, depressed and unimportant. Hiring a home health service for seniors is a great way to not only give them someone to talk to throughout the day but also allow them to be independent in their own home.
Home Health Aides and State Tested Nurse Aides make a difference in the lives of elderly patients and help them combat loneliness in the following ways:
● Offer emotional support by listening attentively with patience and compassion.
● Instead of criticizing the feelings expressed, redirect their focus on the positive and offer them hope.
● Render excellent care utilizing the most up-to-date skills and technique.
● Communicate clearly with other medical professionals involved, such as doctors, nurses, specialists, and even the patient’s family, to ensure he/she receives accurate diagnosis and appropriate treatment.
● Last, but certainly not least, offer moral support.
At Premier Choice Health Services, we provide individuals with the skills and tools necessary to provide attentive health assistance to the elderly and the know-how to make a difference in their lives. If you, too, have a passion for senior care and are interested in nurse assistant training, contact Premier Choice Health Services for more information on their Home Health Aide (HHA) and State Tested Nurse Aide (STNA) programs.